During the summer I finally found what I thought was an ideal solution for instructors to easily record lectures or other audio information AND allow students in their classes to do the same. For details read this post: http://teachlearntechblog.blogspot.com/2010/08/voice-record-lecturecasts.html. Unfortunately drop.io will be discontinued by December 15 as a result of its purchase by Facebook. All free (and paid) accounts and data will be deleted by that date. I am searching for an alternative such as those listed in this post http://www.cellphonesinlearning.com/2010/10/sad-newsdropio-removed-voice-recording.html but none seem close to what Drop.io can provide.
Do you have suggestions for a service that provides features reasonably close to what Drop.io provided?
Requirements (or reasonably close)
- Phone record directly to your account space using a unique phone number. Therefore you (and-or your students) could use any phone - landline or mobile to make the call-in.
- Reasonable storage to allow allow a semester's worth of podcasts (100MB provides 400 minutes of recording) and presumably a price model for larger space requirements.
- Administrator control that controls access to the podcast site
- Guest password for students so they can create their own phonecasts
- Option to subscribe to RSS feeds including iTunes
- Pre-recorded lectures in mp3 or aac audio files that can be uploaded separately as part of the podcast
- Mobile app is preferred
- Guarantee that the service will not be purchased and discontinued by a billion dollar bully ;)